Tuesday, July 8, 2008

July 7th A Sad Day


I've never been an animal lover. I didn't grow up with animals. Besides I had 7 children and a husband and that is enough living, breathing things to take care of! Right? Well my daughter Kristin is an animal lover. She must have been an animal keeper in the Pre-existence (before we came to this earth) because she begged me to have a dog. She wrote contracts about all that she would do to take care of her dog. Everyday for weeks on end she would beg. I definitely had a dilemma! I do love my children and I want them to be happy. Jason, my wonderful son-in-law told me about a dog that his parents has adopted. Her name was Lucky because they picked her up by the side of Orangeblossom Rd. where drivers go very fast. She was "lucky" that she didn't get killed. Jason knowing how I did not like animals that much thought Lucky would be a perfect fit. So for Christmas about 12 years ago Kristin got her dog Lucky. Lucky was the best dog a mom could hope to have. She didn't bark much (unless there was danger), didn't chew things up, she was great with the kids even when they sat on her, pulled her ears, and poked at her. Lucky was the best. She still needed to eat, shed and left her calling card in the yard but for the most part she was a blessing. Yesterday we sadly had to put her to sleep. She had cancer and was bleeding from her nose. Mark had taken her to the Vet two weeks ago and they thought it might be an abscess in her tooth that was causing the problem. She also had arthritis and we gave her some medicine so she would be more comfortable but yesterday when there was blood everywhere we knew something was terribly wrong. Mark had to go to work so I took Lucky to the Vet and got the news. At 11:45 A.M. yesterday, Mark, Sarah and I said our goodbyes and thanked her for being such a wonderful friend to all of us. She quietly went to sleep. On the way home I had this wonderful vision of Lucky running happily beside our little granddaughter Gracie who was too pure and precious to live in this world. I know that Lucky is bringing happiness to those in Heaven. Lucky became Mark's running and walking partner since most of the children have gone. Little London would always sit really still on our laps when Lucky was around because she was afraid of her. How are we going to get London and Carly to sit on our laps now? We will miss Lucky very much!

2 comments:

Kinda said...

Thank you for sharing that sweet thought you had of Gracie with Lucky. Of course it made me cry, but it also made me smile as I saw the same picture in my mind. Bryan felt sad when I told him of Lucky's passing. He was surprised by the feeling. He didn't think he would feel that way, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, Lucky really was a great dog, always so sweet.