Monday, July 14, 2008

July 12th 2008

We had a wonderful day at the Temple yesterday. We attended Eileen Seavers (Mark's niece) and Larry Thorpe's wedding in the Oakland Temple where they were sealed for time and eternity. It was so fun seeing nieces, nephews, cousins, sibling and family friends.

Mark and I also had the opportunity to act as proxy for my grandparents Alexander George Mowat and Agnes Sampson Reid as they were sealed together for Time and Eternity. It was a very emotional experience for me. I was very close to my grandmother but my grandfather passed away before I was born. The spirit was so strong as Mark and I knelt across the alter from each other in a beautiful sealing room in the Oakland Temple. We listened to the words of the sealer as my grandfather and grandmother have the opportunity now to be companions beyond this life forever. Tears of joy flowed as I could almost audibly hear my grandmother's phrase. "I love you so much it hurts!"

When Grandma came to visit us, she always stayed in my room. I remember the stories she used to tell about being a buyer for a very large department store in Scotland and how she had her own chauffeur. How she and my grandfather were engaged for 13 years. How they got married in Canada and eventually came to the United States as it took years for my grandfather to bring his family here to America.

It turns out that the sealer is the accountant for our optomitrist here in Oakdale and has been for years and years. It is such a small world. The experience of feeling so close to my grandparents in the Temple is one I will not soon forget.

No comments: